R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Whats the best way to balance your TC?
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2009, 12:49 PM
mattnin
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

That XXX-T in the picture had a tweaked chassis and it was my first ever "balanced" vehicle. I took this picture about an hour after I made that tweak board, and I still had a lot to learn. I really should show updated pictures of my balanced vehicles, it is not like that at all. I now know that if preloads are that much off, the chassis must be tweaked or there is a broken or loose parts which is more valuable information.

Using the 4-scales method, I can tell if a part is broken on the car. A friend of mine had me balance his car, and after about 5 attempts, I was getting nowhere, the preloads looked like shown in the picture, awful. I told him his chassis must tweaked and to check all the screws or look for broken parts. We ended up finding out he had a broken plate underneath the shock tower.

The math can become complicated, that is true. But I made a program using a TI-92 calculator that calculates up everything for me in seconds so I am no longer fiddling with a paper and pencil. This program is written simple and I believe can be adapted character-to-character into earlier TI calculators, and if you are decent at programming, you can get the idea and make your own program. If anyone is interested, I'll share my program with them. Also, there is another valuable program on the Apple I-phone, I forget the name of it but it can also calculate crossweights too.

Yes, this is a very involved method to getting your car set up right, but you will hear from some racing greats that this is the best way. In full scale racing, 4-scale setups are essential.