R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2009, 08:59 AM
y2kgtp
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scottrik
TC3's and TC4's are PLENTY durable, especially at the reduced speeds (lighter impacts) of VTA. Best part is you can get two of either (nice examples) and a PILE of parts and still have money left over compared to the price of a single TC5. Plus if you need more the parts for either are CHEAP and PLENTIFUL.

They're also plenty competitive in the class as the speeds are lower so the chassis of any TC really aren't being pushed to their limit. I would argue that the shaft drive is an advantage in this power-limited class too and that the dreaded "torque steer" of song and story (not that I'd ever noticed in higher power classes) just doesn't exist at VTA power levels.

Where the TC3-4 comes up short:

a) ease of adjustability. They're just plain a pita compared to more modern cars to adjust things like rear toe, anti-squat or dive, etc. That said, once you find a good setup that works who really changes these things anyway (other than folks with WAY too much time for practicing and futzing with cars)

b) for running the LiPo / 21.5 option you need to create pinion clearance for the larger pinions you'll need to run. This isn't rocket science, but it is an extra step. This is not necessary at all running the 4-cell / 27T you indicate the kids will start out with, but if you upgrade to LiPo / 21.5 you'll need to play with this. By then you'll be familiar with the cars and will be able to see EXACTLY what needs doing to accomplish this.

I raced TC3's for a long time (when I bothered racing TC) and have raced a TC4 in VTA for two years now. The only Achilles heel I've found on the TC4 is that the steering racks seem subject to breakage right in the center where they're notched for the "servo saver" capability. If I was going to run a kid with a TC4 I'd give some thought to using a servo saver on the servo too as an attempt to take a bit of pressure off the steering rack.

OH...if you're "shopping" for TC3-4's I'd advise against the RTR cars. Ask rather than assume, but the aluminum drive axles are worthy upgrades for "learning drivers" and the threaded aluminum shocks are pretty much "must-haves" for racing. Don't assume either of these are on a car even if it's advertised as "FT". If you can't clearly see the parts ask the question.

Good luck in your family VTA adventure. You'll have a lot of fun together.
Thanks for the information. I plan on staying away from the RTR stuff, but will see what I can find a deal on. The trouble will be trying to find 2 used near identical cars.

If I find a good deal for a couple TC4 RTR's, I might go that route, but only if the deal is really good. I still would have to get a motor & rims\tires\body for the class.....

Will keep the kids in NiMH for a while. Keeps me from having to buy 2 more chargers (I have 2 LiPo and 2 MRC 960's already) and I can just get some battery bars and make six 4 cell packs from 4 six cell stick packs. They are all 3000Mah+ so should be fine for starting out.