R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya TB-03
Thread: Tamiya TB-03
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2009, 10:43 PM
Timmie
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bluesxman
Is there a reason to do a spool over the front one way? Seems that on power they're equal while off power the one way would have more steering?
On my cars I almost always run a spool. A spool gives you brakes when you need it like if you go into a corner a little hot, or you are driving right behind someone in a corner and you need to tap the brake mid turn to avoid hitting there car. With a one way this can be tricky to do without causing the rear of the car to come around since you only have rear wheel braking. That leads into my second reason, consistency. Spools are just more consistent. Most *not all* people run faster lap times with a spool. It gives you more confidence to drive a little harder knowing that if need be, you can slam the brakes without worry of sending your car into a spin. Also with a spool and a proper suspension setup a spool can help the front of your car "set in" when you get off the throttle before a sharp turn. Spools are also typically lighter in rotational mass than a one way. Yes, as you said they are equal on power.

Yes a one way will usually have more off power steering. Where a spool would bind your front two wheels to the same speed no matter what and possibly cause it to push, a one way will allow the front wheels to rotate at independent speeds off power increasing turn in. For that reason, I run a one way in extremely high traction situations. Like racing on carpet or a asphalt track with insane levels of grip...(The Coliseum in MD) Yeah, a spool can be made to work on super high traction but it makes you feel like you are fighting your car all the time because you kinda are The high grip combined with front tires that don't change speed independently with a spool makes the car feel bound up. With a one way it frees the car up and you can get into the turns quicker. On a large outdoor asphalt track with long flowing turns I might run a one way. I might be able to gain a little corner speed if there was a turn that I needed to let off just a little.

So a simplified version of my opinion

Asphalt- almost always I will use a spool.
Carpet- one way or a ball diff...(yeah i didn't mention but wasn't asked hehe)

Hope this is of some help, good luck!