R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Titanium chassis?
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2009, 11:28 AM
motox450
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by token
Sorry bro got to disagree with ya on this one - Titanium does not flex much at all when thick - your talkin about a 4-5mm thich chassis, alum will out flex it. I build large super computers and computer componets that has moving parts. Our original design used 7000 grade alum - and the robots kept bending the plates use to hold it. We swapped to titanium and the problem was solved. it does not flex as much which keeps everything inline.

When comparing - you have to to account of the shape in which is used. here we are talking about flat surfaces that needs to flex in all directions, whereas bikes uses tubes, you have to look at thickness - the glasses are very thin, I wear them. I have also seen bkies being custom made - my neighbor build them for us olympic team members out of his house. the Titanium tubes are not as thick as a chassis to a truggy.

i think you cant compare each with the flex factor to those items of different shape and sizes
You are correct that they all have different factors. Here is a good info page to different tubing types and properties of each.

ww.sheldonbrown.com/frame-materials.html add a w in front and cut and paste

All material types will flex similar with different amounts of material. It depends on grade of material and alloy content. The benifit to Ti is that it can be made to be more flexible with less material, and less weight than steel or alum.

Last edited by motox450; 07-10-2009 at 11:41 AM.