R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Recommend to me a .21 engine with a 14mm crankshaft
Old 07-10-2009, 11:07 AM
Garet Jax
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jonathan Bell
jax you can put the bearing back in just not with that tool. Put the rear bearing in with the ball bearings faceing toward the rear of the engine. Heat the case up a little bit to make it easier. Back before i got the grp tool set i used a socket with a 3 inch extension to tap the rear bearing in. Make sure the socket is the same outter diamater as the outter race on the bearing. I have even put the bearing on the cranshaft and install the crankshaft like you normally would and when the bearing starts into its hole put a wooden dowl on the crank and peck on the dowel until the bearing fully seats. It will be alot less stress on the bearing though if you use the socket. It shouldn't take alot of effort to get it back in there ones it starts. It will be pretty snug as it's inserting into the crankcase. Just make sure it bottoms out before installing the crank. IMPORTANT::: make sure the balls are facing the rear of the engine and not the rubber seal part. The bearing probably wont get any lube and will almost definately fail if installed backwards. Hope this helps.
Thanks for pointing this out.

I noted the orientation of the ball bearings before removing them and was putting them back in the same way. The bearing were facing backwards.