R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Australian RC prices!
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2009, 04:28 AM
X5 Addict
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CMB21
X5, as i said, turning into something not quite as easy as price to price comparison. nothing is ever easy is it. The things to compare just keep piling up

But in the end even after comparing it to death, the $$$ is what dictates how we buy. Please don't get me wrong, i do not go O/S for everything, i just spent $700 odd at MassiveMods getting a new motor and fuel etc etc etc and they are sponsoring the MT and Truggy titles. Had the extra cash after having to take a break from RC.

Just the way it goes,when i have to watch the $$$ i am more than happy to wait that little bit extra for the parts to arrive.

EDIT: Warranty is a big issue depending on what has to be done.... warranty on an esc or motor will be costly. So far my Venom fan was very cheap and i am expecting a radio tray for the RC8B to arrive shortly as it was faulty in the kit, went straight to AE and they said they will send me a new one.
Yes of course the $$$ say it all. You did ask the question why and hopefully I've some info to answer the question.
Wait a little longer? In a lot of cases you get it in half the time from O/S!

Originally Posted by Benzaah
My 2c.

Imagine being quoted nearly $500au for a new LRP SPX speedy and LRP 10.5 motor from a local hobby shop. Then searching the internet for all of about 5 minutes and picking them up shipped to my door from the US for $275au. Pretty hard decision that one! I'm sorry but i don't care how much they support the local industry or events or clubs but you'd be mad to shop at those prices. No one wants to pay more than they have to for anything. Whats more disturbing is when you know the LHS cant even buy it for $275au from the local distributor. Funny that isnt it.

For another industry example:

With what i do, a distributor would be lucky to make 10 to 15% on top of their wholesaler's or manufacturers prices. We might make another 20% after we discount a bit to the end customer so all up your talking about a 30 to 35% mark up from the manufacturers price which is common place and considered acceptable. Id like to see some of the margins that these guys are trying to make and I bet the LHS has the smallest margin and it flows from there on up.
Which is another point I was about to make, the guy selling you the gear might be further down the purchasing chain. ie: he may have purchased this product from a local wholesaler anyway.

With a saving of 50% it's very hard to go passed for sure......