R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2003, 08:41 AM
rc_alan
Tech Fanatic

Darkseid.. You commented a few posts back that you were missing something about the style of my comments and answers about the R40... If you would read my comments objectively, you would see that while own a R40, also have a few other cars as well... Looking at the goals of one are not the same as the goals of everyone... If you had the Reflex NT, the G4 is as different as night and day... And a much better car... Back to the R40, as a base, the car is good, as far as ease of mantanance, it's no easier to work on then the MTX3, G4, LD3 or any other top car out there. I know that was one of HPI's goals, but many RC Mag's have said otherwise as well. I try to be objectively as possible with out pushing one company over another... Reading and doing research is great, but it's not the same as having the car in your hands and feeling alittle let down. I to did my research on the R40 before I bought the car, went to the Roar Nationals and saw Hara wiin... I saw his car as well... Like I've been saying before, The Team cars from HPI are not the same as the bone stock car out of the box. Every car in that event were running with front oneways... They're used for a reason and if a person's driving style can be trained to use one, your control of the car and lap times will vastly improve... I've never knock the R40 nor HPI.. Yes I said it's no more then an RTR kit car in a box except for the graphite upper deck... because out of the box that's what it is. A very good one and also very adjustable though. That might sound kinda hash, but really it's not... The car is good with alot of room for improvements... Unlike Serpent, that changes cars every year or so, the R40 will be around for 2-3 year cycle if not longer and that's great for everyone who buys the R40... And as for a RTR winning the NATS... The Nitro 4Tec Pro from Traxxas took third at the Roar NATS a few years ago... And even though that car said Pro on the box, I believe no one would confuse Traxxas with Serpent or Trinity or any other major player in the business... Oh, I have a NTEC TRX 2.5 as well.. lol... It all came down to it's driver and the car staying together... Is buying a R40 a good idea??? For some yes and for some no... Good luck with your R40 when you get, I'm sure you'll like it... If you still have your Reflex NT... Compare the two cars and see which one is better... I've seen the Reflex handle quite well by one person and another like a dog.. Of course one was set up correctly and was dialed and the other was not... Enjoy the hobby and happy racing... No hard feelings... Just trying to pass on info when I can and help out when I can...

RC_Alan