R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car
Old 07-05-2009, 07:39 PM
WooHoo
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Picked up my rubber Photon from Mark at TZR Thursday.
It's together sans electronics.

My overall review is thumbs up. Easy build.

Below is my step by step review of the build.
I suspect there won't be anything new but it will add points to the graph.

PF = part fit
+ = pass
- = fail

Step 1) PF = +

Step 2) PF = +
Note: The fasteners that secure the drive cups did not come tight when fully seated.
I ? the decision to have the mate between the drive cups to the spool coincident with the bearing race mate surface.

Step 3-6) PF = +

Step 7) PF = -
Note: note says use only TOP or Xenon spur gears. Kit came with a Kimbrough. It took some finesse to get the pulleys installed in the gear

Step 8) PF = +
Note: I threaded the set screws in from the bottom of the assembly. This allows access to its drive end as well as the ball studs. I did this were ever possible.

Step 9) PF = +

Step 10) PF = +
Note: I set the belt tension one turn tighter than neutral and let sit 24hrs then back to neutral, belt tension feels good.

Step 11) PF = +

Step 12) PF = -
Note: Some wings and camber plates were cut with a worn cutter. Fitment issues occurred. None that were insurmountable.

Step 13-14) PF = +

Step 15) PF = +
Note: I'm a fan of bearing spacers.

Step 16-17) PF = +

Step 18) PF = +
Step 19) PF = +
Step 21) PF = +
Step 22) PF = +
Note: I completed these steps in parallel so I could test the fit of the pins in any of the four assembly. I found three (of eight) combinations that did not require any attention. The remainder were massaged with a 3mm mandrel on a drill motor. None were so terribly tight that I considered it unacceptable.

Step 20) PF = +

Step 23) PF = +
Note: Adding C to C or OAL for starting reference in the tip and amendment sheet would be easy and helpful.
(I don’t have a set up station handy. Maybe some one who does could set everything to zero and post the link lengths)

Step 24-35) PF = +

The shocks feel great, very smooth.
Drive train feels great, very smooth.

Now I need to get electronics in it.

Robert