R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2009, 10:50 AM
big al
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

NIz, I agree with you and disagree with you.

It kinda sounds like you are confusion chassis roll and roll center. A higher roll center will allow the chassis "leverage" into a turn, but chassis roll is a different dynamic altogether. Clearly, you hit a point of diminishing returns with a low chassis, but there is a reason that most people stay within 5-6mm ride height. 10mm is far to high. At 10mm, your chassis is rolling over a turn instead of rolling into a turn.

obviously, driver skill will always improve any car, but you can't assume that setting up your car to your driving style is gonna as fast as you can go. A better set-up will push the car and driver to better lap times and ultimately to a better set-up car. Human nature is always looking for improvements.

rnd,

In 540 and stock racing set-up and especially driving are absolutely important. In these 2 classes, wherebrakes are rarely used, you have to have a set-up that can maintain a high entrance and exit speed because 540 class has very little torque. maintaining speed in and out of a turn is gonna make you a fast driver. A high ride height is gonna strip away that in and out speed that you need to place well.

Here's a set-up for asphalt (loose to medium)
You will need a tamiya spring kit and sway bar set if you can!

frt:
yellow springs-50wt oil, stock 1-hole piston
yellow sway bar
outer hole on arms, middle hole on shock tower
1.5 deg. camber

rear:
red springs, 50wt oil, stock 1-hole piston
no sway bar
outer hole on arm, #3 hole on shock tower
(hole 1 is closest to center of car, hole 4 is after the body mount)

now just find the tires your competition uses and your are 85-90% there.

if your track is high traction, try the blue springs up front and yellow in rear, then white up front and blue in rear if on carpet or if your track is VERY HIGH traction.

As a side note. the kit silver springs are stiffer than the whites.
Let me know how this works for you. Feel free to PM me.
I'm not a ta05 expert, but I've run this car for 3 years now (it's a tank) and can keep up with the big boys.--Al