R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car
Old 06-28-2009, 07:10 AM
vr01
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Josh Cyrul
The spur gear holder is the same as we have used on the Scythe car. The 4 screws thread through the spur from one pulley to the other. Before, the pulleys were smaller with a shaft that went through - bearings were in the bulkheads. Now, we have the bearings in the pulley to allow the pulley to spin on the shaft so the chassis flex/movement can't bind the bearings. The two screws that hold the shaft in you just have to tighten each side/side 1-2 times (double check type deal) and it's easy to tighten it all up.

On my prototype Photon, I used the same spur gear pulleys for 4-5 months and probably at least 150+ battery packs. Never stripped a spur, never had the pulley/spur assembly come loose. It's actually a really good design that came from the origional engineer of the Scythe.

You don't see it on another major touring car because they didn't think of it...lol.... There's a lot on this car that is different than everyother car out there. If we made it the same, people would be on here that we just made a red anodized Tamiya...lol....
Totally agree with you Josh. I've run the Scythe for 3 years and never had an issue with the spur gear holder, spur gear or pulleys. So to all those who want an aluminium spur gear holder, forget it! Why would you want the extra rotating weight anyway???

On my Photon, I suspect that the screws holding the shaft were not as tight as what I thought they were, which caused them to undo, allowing the shaft to move and destroy the spur. On the plus side it took less than 5 minutes to replace. Drivetrain maintenance is easy on this car.