R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car
Old 06-26-2009, 03:06 PM
Josh Cyrul
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The bevel washers were used for a few reasons. The main of which was space. I wanted to keep the thrust assembly sitting against the differential outdrive so it was packaged close enough to the pulley for the hole/slot in the diff screw to alighn for external adjustment. Also, springs never sit perfectly flat so I did not want the thrust washers to be mis-alighned against the spring face causing any sort of binding from the diff screw dragging on the ID of the spring or the thrust washers sitting crooked and dragging on the inside of the differential outdrive. Also, it was for the space in the short half. As it is now, it's already a bit too close for my comfort if you want to run a narrow rear end with the "C" blade on the universal touching on the screw/nut of the differential. With a spring, there is no way it fits but with the spring washers we have a level of spring tension adjustment with the possibility of using a much smaller package.

Sanding the rings... Some do, some don't... I'm too lazy but my diff works great.

One piece thrust... Some do (EJ), some don't (myself). I like the standard thrust and I'm sure EJ can tell you I kicked his butt in the diff war at the Reedy Race....lol... With the box stock diff!!!

The spur gear assembly locks in pretty solid so you really don't have to over tighten the screws - Remember - there is NO SIDE LOAD on this part that would require a strong assembly to keep them together. We could practically use a "snap" fit assembly that would hold it together and it would work unless you changed spurs a lot from stripping them.