R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Serious Diff Issues in my TC4
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2009, 05:35 PM
Airflow
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ride1226
Well yesterday was my first race day with my tc4. I picked it up used and set everything up with a mamba 5700 system on normal timing and a 2s LiPo. I test ran it in my driveway and all was fine. About 6 or 7 laps into practice my diffs seem to have loosened up. My gearing on my car is 22-72 and it wasnt too ballisticly fast at all but a good steady pace for me to learn with. The car finally got so bad that I pulled off and it would barely come back to my pit. I tore open the car to find that both diffs where completely destroyed. There was plastic shavings in the gearbox and the diff rings where actually melted to the cups. Now Im mad, run into the LHS, pick up all the parts to rebuild two diffs. Build them, grease them, tighten them up, run and slam them in my car. Everything is meshed up real nice. I tighten the diffs up then back off a quarter turn. Lucky me I made it back in time for my practice lap over the transponder and I line up. Take off, 4 laps in notice the car seems to have loosened up again, and all of a sudden Im dead on the side. Same thing happened, front diff seems to have done the exact same thing, but the rear is ok. I tightened the rear back down and this time added a bit of threadlock. The front however is just as dead as the first batch. Lucky I still had my truck to run in the other race I was signed up for.

Now, I wonder what is going on. Everything seemed fine until I got on the track. Most of the guys there told me to get a spool for the front. Is a one way the same thing? Can anyone here give me a good recomendation on what to do? Thanks all. My losi JRXS Type R is on its way (obviously the racing thing hooked me) and hopefully I wont have these sort of problems with a car as nice as that.
I noticed quick wear and tear if you lube the diff ring gear and diff pinion.
Run them dry. Doesnt make sense but running it dry produces more
"grab" between the diff pinion and ring gear.