R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Question on O.S. Speed's
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2009, 03:05 PM
JAMMINKRAZY
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SteveP
If that's you're experience, then I'm not going to try and talk you out of it. I'll simply pass along that I'm very familiar with the thermal properties of the various magnesium and aluminum alloys used to make cylinder heads and they do IN FACT, have nearly identical thermal properties. BTW, magnesium alloys can contain as much at 75-percent aluminum. Raw aluminum has better thermal properties than raw magnesium, but raw and 1000 series aluminum (actually better than raw Al) is butter soft and could never be used for a cylinder head. It's the kind of stuff you find inside air conditioning condensers and computer heatsinks, where they don't have to do anything but transfer heat. I have no intention of butting heads, so don't take this the wrong way, but there are thousands of reference books and website where you can look this stuff up, so I'm just passing along what I learned a long time ago.
My experiences are that aluminum cools better. I know for a fact, that's why OS switched to aluminum. Atleast that's what they claimed when the AL head speed was first released. I also know that many guys were running standard v-spec heads on thier speeds before the Al head speed was out for just that reason. That was also GRP's reason for going to the big orange aluminum head over the mag ninja head they had developed for the ninja before they were producing thier engines under the GRP name. I don't know the properties of the metal. I just know what myself and others have experienced, which is that magnesium heads don't cool as well as aluminum heads do. Those are just my findings.