R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - The reason for the lack of mod drivers...
Old 06-19-2009, 02:23 AM
tc3team
Tech Champion

I think the simple matter of fact is that mod is just too fast these days for even the most seasoned racer who enjoys 10.5 at his local club, and mod is only usually supported by a majority of sponsored, hardcore racers.

Going back to 2001, at the Reedy Race, Snetterton UK....

I was lucky enough to be at and participate in this race. There was a spec 12t motor that was incredibly fast (I had been racing for about 7 years at that point) and saw the likes of David Spashett and a lot of other big names flying round the track at (was then, and for me still is now) rocket speed.

In the end, I only made the J final, and knew if I were to continue this kind of racing, it would take skill, money and a lot of time....

Luckily I had a good mentor with a lot of equipment that he just literally threw at me, but some people don't get that chance in r/c.

Fast forward 8 years.....

Brushless motors are much much quicker, added to that, the cell voltage/capacity is crazy, making wheel spin even more apparent, car setup more important than ever and car wear even more accelerated.

Is it any suprise people are getting more set in their ways as to what motor they like to use?

1) They have found their peak skill level, or risk an inconsistant and frustrating day learning setup and throttle control.

2) They dont want to be spending $XX each time to try a different motor class, not forgetting the tyres and car wear and tear....

Sponsored racers in "STOCK" (in any form of racing/motorsport) will always exist, so it is something some people will need to learn how to deal with in their own ways.

-----------

(Purely IMHO) A sponsored racers view point of racing against anyone in any class is that they will enter the class if the rules allow them to.

If the club is big and established enough, there will be enough sponsored and non sponsored people attending to allow both types of racer the chance to be in their own group, or mingle if they choose/are allowed to by the club rules.

From another view point, I get bored of the "them and us" attitude that the sponsored and non sponsored racers can have of each other, we are in this together....

Luckily though, for now I race at a club where everyone gets on with each other, I set the fastest lap of the night a few weeks ago, a mere 1/10th of a second faster than someone who wasn't sponsored....

See, sometimes we get involved in the politics of racing to much that we just don't really see how close the racing really is.

The faster the class, and the bigger the event (and the nerves to go with it!), the more chance there is of crashes, grip roll with carrying too much speed,... and the time gap between 1st and last getting bigger. Winning this kind of a meeting is called.... skill.

If you're too slow....

1) you've just not got the right motor/gearing, or

2) you're not carrying enough corner speed (setup issue / worn/wrong tyres) or...

3) Or you just can't race fast!

So not a matter of having sponsorship, it just helps!

Apologies for going off topic...