R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Spliff's AX10
Thread: Spliff's AX10
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2009, 03:18 PM
spliffnwesson
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I had it out a little yesterday after I got my 7cell 1500 split pack in the mail. Tried to climb a mound of dirt but here in FL it's mostly sand or very dry and powdery. So yeah, it didn't make it up too far. It got to a certain point and just dug in. I found some other stuff to drive over but nothing too exciting. I need to scope some decent crawling spots or start collecting rocks to build something. Would be nice to have something to crawl on here at the house.

The way the shocks and links mount to the axle in stock configuration the links touch the spring cups and rub. Also the shocks were at a bit of an angle and when the suspension torqued the shock caps gave a little and leaked (but not much). When I was fixing the shocks, the caps had slipped a thread and were crooked. A couple shocks leaked more than I thought so I ended up replacing all the oil with 40wt cuz that's all I have. It's a bit stiffer now but should be alright until I can get more shock oil.

While I was messing with the shocks I swapped bealocks with my Slash that had Proline Eight Shooters. I put 2 breather holes in each wheel cuz the eight shooters don't have any. I also added 3oz of Great Planes sticky weights (I only had 6oz.). I plan to add more when I can put in a new order from Tower or wherever. To speed up the process or unscrewing/screwing the beadlocks together, I took the replaceable shafts out of my hex drivers and put them in a cordless drill. I didn't go too fast so I didn't strip the holes or create too much heat but it was still a lot faster than turning drivers by hand (less painful too). When I put the screws back in I didn't go too tight and then checked and finished snugging things up with an allen wrench.

The power went out last night while I was doing the beadlocks but luckily I was on my last screw. I finished and cleaned up by flashlight. Also at one point I went to my computer to look up some info and had my back turned for maybe 5 minutes and my English Bull Terrier chewed a foam. I was glad it wasn't a memory foam and that I had a NIP pair of firm 2.2 foams. Only thing is they don't fill out the middle of the tread of the Hammers. They're going on the front of my Slash so they should be ok until I can get proper ones. I don't think it'll be too bad since they won't be under power and just rolling. Maybe even add to some traction.