R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - The reason for the lack of mod drivers...
Old 06-17-2009, 12:57 PM
CarbonJoe
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
For example a official "Team" would be allowed 10 drivers, 3 mod, 3 super stock, 3 stock and 1 floater, the floater could be a person that the "Team" is developing and could slot into any one of the classess.
I'm not liking the term "floater". Too much time at the Gate hanging around seaball and McSmooth, I guess.

Every beginner always wants to have the fastest car, at least until they realize that there is a turn at the end of the straight. Watching Blackstock, Chicky, etc., practice at the Gate with their mod cars, it becomes obvious that they are only at full throttle about 25% of each lap, if that. The rest of the time is either braking, coasting, or little throttle blips to the next corner. In the slower classes, you spend more time closer to or at full throttle. Beginners don't realize that the throttle is proportional, not an on/off switch, and that you can push the trigger as well as pull it. In other words, unlimited mod is a waste on most US tracks with today's motors (as shown by example lap times listed by others above), and a lot of drivers just don't have the skill to drive mod.

I guess that explains why a lot of "Sportsmen" don't move up, but not why the Stock A Main guys don't move up. At least ROAR is forcing the A Main Stock winners to move up for 5 years.