R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Sponsor Drivers
Thread: Sponsor Drivers
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2003, 08:51 PM
ScottyP
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I hate to say it, but flbugboy has a point.

Some sponsored drivers behave very poorly and this reflects equally poorly on their sponsors. Companies need to understand that the value of sponsorship is far greater than the on-track performance of the racer being sponsored.

Simlarly, drivers need to understand that the value they are capable of delivering back to their sponsors is far greater than just their on-track performance. An example being Josh Cyrul... I've never met him, let alone seen him race, but I see him on this board all the time helping people out and this reflects back on his sponsors very positively (congrats to XRay, Fantom and SMC!).

Sure there are often tremendous pressures being sponsored at an elite level, but that's no excuse for poor sportmanship and behaviour.

I recall at the 1997 Off Road Worlds at the Ranch Pit Shop that a large number of the Team Associated crew would cheer and clap whenever Kinwald, Francis or any of the other Losi drivers crashed. This is very poor in my book.

I'm not suggesting the Losi drivers were any better (although I don't remember them clapping and cheering), but this left a bad taste in my mouth about TA. If that's how 'Team' Associated conducts itself, is that really a 'Team' I want to be a part of?

Not sure if that kind of stuff still goes on in the States... being from Australia makes it hard (read expensive!) to get to big international races!

Scotty