R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Hot Bodies Cyclone
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2009, 12:26 AM
Big Daddy Cool
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Korey Harbke
The POM ourdrives are made from the same material as the POM differential outdrives that come stock in the TC kit. I've noticed wear is very minimal on these, but they aren't the most durable things in the world. At the reedy race, I ended up using the steel outdrives just for extra peace of mind.

What the team has found, the steel outdrives work best when used with MIP CVD's in the front of the car. The MIP CVD's don't fit as tight in the hub bearings, and give a little bit of slop there. That helps take some of the chatter out as well. When using the POM outdrives, we suggest using the HB Ver 2 universals as they fit tighter in the bearings and the combinded amoutn of slop isn't too much. It seems to be the best combo for the POM outdrives.

As far as other questions about chatter, check to make sure you have at least version 2 HB universals or MIP CVD's. The ball joint and range of motion is greater on these, so they chatter significantly less. Also, there will always be some chatter with a spool, so a little bit isn't much to be worried about. Especially in an unloaded condition like turning the car upside down.

If you guys are still concerned about chatter, hot bodies has just recently released their DCJ driveshafts which have two universal joint in them, much like designs from Losi or Xray.

http://www.hotbodiesonline.com/products/en/67699.html

http://www.hotbodiesonline.com/products/en/67731.html

-Korey

Very helpful information Korey. All your efforts to help out cyclone racers are truly appreciated. I'll try to find the POM outdrive cups. In the meantime, however, I switched to slightly worn steel drivecups and there is some reduction in chatter. The first 60% steering goes smoother while some chatter remains on the latter 40% towards full steering lock. I will try things out at the track tomorrow and hope to notice less front end chatter under load. Thing is, I never experienced this with my previous cyclone original black edition. Then again, I ran with center and front one ways on that one. Thanks again!