R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Design my own 1:10 scale, but could I race?
Old 06-09-2009, 01:13 AM
HellTriX
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Design my own 1:10 scale, but could I race?

First I will state that I'm a physics student working my way to a goal of PH.D in theoretical, quantum, and atomic physics, with minors in mathematics, electrical engineering (already have most of this done), and some engineering.

I've always done things that people say I'm reinventing the wheel when in fact I'm just bored and do things for the sake of building for my own enjoyment.

Now that that's out of the way. As a very first step I'd like to just throw out a question before I dig too much to see what would be the rules if I decided to do my own carbon fiber chassis of a 1:10 scale. I would design most of the stuff myself using my CAD, CNC, lathe, etc. For the more complicated parts I could maybe order hopups of things like differentials, and belt pulleys/shafts. Maybe even borrow A-arms (though I think I want to make my own). So by the end I'd have my own custom 1:10 with 50-80% all my own custom parts and the rest off the shelf hopup parts.

Would a car fitting my design goals be eligible for races where I won't find it extremely difficult finding others in my same class?

Ok I will leave it at this for now and see what kind of responses I get before I look any further. Studying for finals anyway.

Thanks.