R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/12 forum
Thread: 1/12 forum
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2009, 01:55 PM
SlowerOne
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Randy Caster
Hey guys, looking for some help here, having problem with the sauce wearing off the tires too soon. I can average about 9.5 second laptimes for the first 3 mins of a run, then it drops down to about 10.0's for the next minute, but by about 4 and a half mins into the run it seems like the sauce is completely worn off and the car is literally un-driveable.

I've tried saucing for short amounts of time, long amounts of time (up to an hour), and all the way from 1/3 of the front, to the full thing.

The tires aren't coming off the track caked in carpet fibers, really they are usually very clean at the end of a run.

I'm running pink tires all around, 43mm front, 45.5 rear, and our track only allows jack the gripper.

Any ideas on how I can get some more runtime out of the tires?

Thanks!
The basics of your problem is that the front has too much grip, and is overworking the rears. As Brian says, go for yellow rears and lilac fronts, and then try pink rears with lilac fronts. As the grip comes up, go to 2x pink fronts. You'll know when to switch, the front goes grabby and difficult to point into the corner accurately as the grip gets laid down.

Make sure your cells are all the way back, if you can adjust them. Also, try using 5deg blocks on the front in place of 10 deg. Most people that try them say they have no front end, but it's an illusion. 10 deg blocks 'throw' the car in to the corner, making it feel like you have steering, but with Jack the reality is that it 'throws' the back around, and you overwork the rears. With Paragon, the grip is much higher, so the rear can cope with the increased steering from the front. When testing with 5deg blocks, check the clock, not your head!!

The rest of Brian's advice is spot on, and I hope some experience of JtG from across the pond is helpful. Also, check what other additive is being used, and that no one is sneaking on some LRP stuff to use on TC rubber tyres - it doesn't mix with Jack at all, and gives you a slippery track!

HTH