R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Serpent 710
Thread: Serpent 710
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2003, 09:55 PM
InitialD
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by fmolzer
D, just bought 2 Novamaxes in HK, are they as good as I hope they will be? On the break in bench, I have noticed that they seem fairly forgiving of what you do to the needles compared to some other modifieds I have tried, and it took an effort to get the temps up to where I felt I was doing proper heat cycling. Little did I know I was about to try them in a 710 when I bought them...
Don't need to hoard the supply lines, Fredrik !! One is enough !!

Well, those engines idle very nice. You are right that it's very difficult to get the engine up to temp. Even during break in, you'll find that the engine makes for very scary power !

What we do here to break them in is to run the HSN very rich on the starter box. I believe stock needle settings are 4.5 turns on HSN, 3.5 turns on the LSN and flat on the carb body for the MSN. We turn the HSN out 1 or 2 more rounds anticlockwise to make sure that the engine runs very rich at WOT. We do not touch the LSN. Perhaps to get it starting, the idle needle needs to be opened wide. The wheels will only spin a little at WOT giving the engine some load.

This method of running in is very fast and yet gives adequate break in. You typically run through about 20 tanks or so in about 45 minutes !

The 20 tanks or so is continuous. Therefore refilling one tank to other, care must be taken that the engine does not run out of fuel to give it a lean condition.

After that, lean the HSN little by little and run it slowly at the track. Another 2 or 3 tansk or so, you can tune it to race conditions. On mine, the needle setting is spot on at 4.5 turns on the HSN and 3.5 on the LSN. One copper shim on the button head (0.4 mm total), no. 6 plug with 25% nitro.

And yeah, I hope you opened up those engines and check for metal shavings and burrs. Make sure they are clean.

Enjoy the orange puppies !!