R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Do you guys even make a 3400mAh 18C Lipo?
Old 06-03-2009, 02:05 PM
Freezebyte
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Do you guys even make a 3400mAh 18C Lipo?

SMC, I think I accidently stirred up a shit storm when I just wanted some questions answered in regards to this guys post

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8821191/tm.htm

I have been told via HPI directly that 25C is what they recommend to run their Savage Flux to keep from frying the ESC from voltage drops and spikes as a result of a lower quality and or rated battery. So now im just REALLY confused on what is accurate and what is not.

1. Do you guys even make this battery?

2. If you do, 3400mAH at 18C only equates to 62 continous amps, far below HPI and Castle Creations recommended 120 amps to power the MMM ESC.

I didn't mean to start anything, I'm just a concerned Flux owner who wants to prevent damaging his expensive Flux from the wrong battery.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...-pick-you.html

http://www.rctech.net/forum/monster-...imh-diffs.html

I sent the following email and got the following response. Can you help clear this out for me? To many Savage Flux's have died as a result of incorrect batteries being installed, and it needs to stop.

Dear SMC,

It has come to my attention as well as many other Flux owners that very possibly one of your associates is spreading VERY misleading and inaccurate information about the battery requirements in regards to HPI's Savage Flux, particularly the MMM ESC created and provided by Castle Creations. It has been stated both via the HPI Flux manual and Castle Creations president that the MMM will work best and most reliably with battery systems that are able to provide 120 continuous amps which equates to a rating of 25C or above on Lipo batteries. Castle themselves have stated that lower rated and or quality batteries severely risks power spikes and fluctuations that can easily destroy the MMM ESC. I would like further details and investigation into this as already many peoples Flux's MMM's have died as a result of poor battery choices and having your associates giving MORE false information is going to lead to Castle and HPI have some VERY angry customers.

I am currently running your 6000mAH 28C Lipo hard cased Sport MAX batteries on my Savage Flux and they are doing very well and im very impressed with the run time and power they provide my truck. Being my first brushless RC as well as Lipo usage, my initial impression of your products is very high. However, I will not tolerate a company that gives false and misleading information that results in peoples products being damaged and destroyed and I ask on behalf of me and MANY other brushless RC trucks for an inquiry into this.

Sincerely,

Bryce F Livingston
HPI Savage Flux owner and concerned SMC battery owner.

Dear Freezebyte,

I'm sorry that I didn't receive your email here as I have an email address not listed on our website. I'm assuming that you are talking about our 5200mAh 24C 2s 7.4v hardcase pack, part # 5224LD. This pack has been used by myself and another employee for several months now in the Savage FLUX with zero issues. HPI has several of these packs and have tested them with zero issues. Our "C" rating is different from other battery company "C" rating as our manufacturer uses 90% capacity retention when measuring the "C" rating. Other companies use between 70% and 80%, making there "C" rating look much higher than it actually is. If Castle Creations wants to test some of our LiPo's, or all of them for that matter, and make an evaluation of what does and does not work from the SMC line then we are more than willing to send them every style pack that can be used with the MMM. If I or we have given any information as to what we have used or what HPI has used with nothing but good results, this is our evaluation and we post our results. We can't speak for "C" ratings from other companies, but, ours is a TRUE "C" rating. If you would like any more information on our products, please email our owner directly, [email protected]

I'm glad our 6028LD has made a good impression on you. It is a very good pack.

Sincerely,

Bryan @ SMC a.k.a.