R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Esc cutting out
Thread: Esc cutting out
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2009, 10:22 PM
zaner123
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Esc cutting out

I have a B44 with a Novak Havoc 8.5 brushless system powered by a Protek R/c 3800 mAh 15c lipo. I use a Futaba 3pm 2.4ghz radio.

The issue is that, seemingly randomly, the esc cuts power to the motor (steering still works) for a few seconds and then it comes back. Sometimes I can go a full battery without any issues. Usually I have more issues a few minutes into the run but then they go away again after time passes. As the battery pack nears empty the frequency of cutting out does not increase.. it may even decrease.

The issues originated when I drove my buggy in cold weather - like 20-30 degrees (basically first time driving it). But.. they continued as the temperature increased to the 50's and today when the temperature was about 75. Today, for about 5 minutes, the esc cut power about ever 10 seconds - then it turns back on after a few seconds. The motor/esc were pretty hot during this period, even tho I was not pushing the car very hard.

About half an hour later (and the battery was about half depleted) the issues went away. I was able to drive ten full minutes - ten FAST laps using all of the motors/escs/batteries ability - and it didn't cut out at all. Also after this ten minutes the motor/esc weren't hot at all (ambient temperature did not decrease, tho).

I don't understand what the problem could be. Any suggestions? I don't want to buy a new, or more expensive battery pack unless necessary.

Thanks for any help.