R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - TC3 Forum
Thread: TC3 Forum
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2003, 07:44 AM
Horatio
Tech Elite

Alledgedly!

Without going back over the TC3 unequal steering nonsense, you can set up the TC3 steering to be central if you wish to have equal static steering. If you race on tight technical tracks, you will soon see that the unequal steering is actually not compensated by the torque from the shaft /motor configuration as the theory suggests - trust me on this! It just means that you will have less steering to the left

Save all the theoretical bunk for people in rain coats - talk to the hand (middle finger extended ) cos the face aint listening!

Set your rack in the middle. Adjust your track rods so that your wheels are straight, with maybe a little toe out/in according to preference. Set your servo horn's link so that you are able to attain full lock both sides without the link catching anything.

You will then quickly notice that full left lock is restricted by the hub carrier - it has a raised edge (more raised than on the opposite edge) that prevents the left steering arm from moving as far as the right steering arm. File as required to obtain the lock you need.

The 'pro's' argument is that you will never need full lock if the car is set up correctly anyway and that they turn the steering down on their radios to about 70 percent. I'm obviously nowhere near as good as them, otherwise I'd be able to copy their exact setup and still win nationals ;o) Well whilst there is some credance to their point, there are certain tracks or instances where you do need decent lock and the TC3 simply doesn't have it as standard. Other cars with a shaft have FAR MORE LOCK and the steering is equal - go figure.

I might be totally different, but I like to have MORE lock than I need, but use less than full stick deflection while I race. Occassionally however, I need to go off the racing line (to take avoiding action, for instance) and when I do, the extra lock is helpful especially on my local track which is very tight, narrow and technical - think Scalextric and you'll know what I mean.

I hope this helps make up your own mind.