R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/8 scale beginner
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2009, 07:52 PM
ice-nine
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I just went through the same choices that you've had to make. I do like buggies, so for that, I'd say the main kits to get are the RC8E (especially the Limited with BB shocks, etc), the Castor products, or the Ofna/Hobao Hyper 9e. Honestly, the AE is probably the most solid bet for pricing and parts support. I never was one to run the same thing that everyone else is running, however, and I'm very happy that I got the Hobao.

I would say the Losi 8ight 2.0 is also a front runner, but since they cram their electronics down your throat at the same price that you could get the RC8E or Ofna Kit with a Tekin RX8 setup, for me, they eliminated themselves from consideration. Of course, you could always pick up a used Losi Nitro kit and do the conversion yourself.

The good thing about your decision to make is that given the way you're doing your research, asking here and at the track, I think you're going to be happy regardless of which one you get. I think all the top manufacturers are producing great cars.

From what I've seen, do not skimp on your ESC/motor combo, they are strained a lot more then in tenth scale. Do your research and pick wisely. I have heard mostly good things about the Zippy batteries, however, half the price of most brands and good performance.

Last edited by ice-nine; 05-19-2009 at 08:11 PM. Reason: no speakle the english.