R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Driving questions (2wd electric vs. 4wd nitro)
Old 05-12-2009, 09:10 AM
CaptainHowdyt13
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)
Default Driving questions (2wd electric vs. 4wd nitro)

Ok,

I am just getting back into r/c, have been racing for about 4 months or so, and have done pretty much nothing but 2wd electric stuff. I am JUST starting to get to the point where I am placing/winning club races in a couple classes against average drivers. When I race against the more experienced drivers, I drive pretty clean, however, their lap times are obviously faster. In an effort to start shaving some time off my laps, I was curious about what I can do to shave down some lap time.

I think one of my problems is I don’t throttle the car through any curves. Clearly, in 2wd, that may be a little harder, but when I start racing 1/8 nitro buggy, I am sure it will be much easier to do. In the 2wd electric stuff, I tend to ease off the throttle and let the car pull through the curve/apply brake. Should I be practicing throttling through as many curves as I can, and controlling the car with throttle, versus brake? Is it reasonable to assume I shouldn’t beat myself up if I can’t do drive like this with my 2wd electric stuff? I would think with the 4wd 1/8 buggy, it’s a hell of a lot easier…..

So bottom line, I am finally driving clean, just sorta skirting around the track, in an effort to keep the car under control, but now I want to learn how to push it a lot harder and keep it clean. Any other tips would be welcome, for electric, or nitro.