R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Fuel coolers, gimmick? or actually work?
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2009, 08:56 PM
Gary NJ
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by devilchrist
I dont' see how this is beneficial,
by lowering the exhaust temp, you're lowering your pressure by ideal gas law pv=nrt

you're just making your engine run leaner, using less fuel by lowering the tank pressure.

however if you cool the fuel going in to your engine it can have dramatic effect of lowering your engine temperature. and liquid do not not change volume drastically with change in temperature.

but it really depends on how much it can cool fuel, if all it does it 1 or 2 degress it's worth less, but 10 degrees? may be worth considering.
I've had a conversation with someone who has tested the drop in fuel tank temps with the use of pressure line cooler, and the temperature drop was well over 10 degrees - I don't recall the exact drop, but it was larger than I thought it would be. You are correct - a drop in exhaust gas temp will lower the fuel tank pressure, but that's not really a problem - as the engine works thru its RPM range, the pressure and exhaust gas temp changes from the pipe vary the pressure in the line anyway. You compensate for lower pressure in the tank with a slightly richer carb setting. Having the incoming fuel at a lower temp is a positive, with no negatives.