R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tuning help "I did what Paris said"
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2009, 08:22 PM
butch man
Tech Master

The Paris method also now called the Bess method & in between them I believe the Jeol method It works really well but what gets lost on the reader is there is a point where the motor & carb was designed to have the idle gap set to support the varvous aspecs of a certian motor.No mattar how well you get the bottom set with the afore mentiond method & I have tried just to see how far you can go & you can get the idle gap almost comletely closed & still have the eng idle good,you still have to deal with the transition off the idle circuit.Balance is the important factor.Your carb/motor combo as a complete unit has a designed in flow rate.Think of it like a stair case,if you have the slide too far shut but the motor is still in a good enough A/F ratio to burn acceptably with the lower volume of air but when you open the slide abruptly its like going from normal height & depth steps to a 3 foot tall riser on the next step you take & that would be the out of balance I was talking about.The motor carb unit was designed to have those steps a uniform height & depth all the way up from bottom to top.You just have to know when to stop leaning & the only way to learn that on a per eng basis is the way you learned it everyjuango home.It was easier way back when the fuels had a different oil package,you simply would have severe issues limiting how far you could stray from the intended idea(paramiters)all motors made less power using more fuel.The new age of motors put out more power using less fuel & that means less total lubricant.The oils used today are better but the total volume of fuel itself is also part of the lube/cooling of the motor & you can get way out of whack these days & still have the motors run good enough to not put out 100% of potential power but still race with because of the oils they didnt have(to the public) when Ron wrote down that BASIC tuning guide.I simply think it wasnt comprehensive because he did what we all do & assume people had some of the experience he had that made his brain work the way it did.I tell my kid dont lean back in the chair & get why? I assumed she would know because if you fall back & smash your head your brain may get smashed from the internal hemoraging.Why wouldnt she know that it seem obvious enough not to be stated.Not the same thing but you get the idea.Balance is just about the most important concept when tuning as far as I'm concerned & best way IMO to stay in check is to put your slide gap where the people that designed the motor say it should be & dont adjust more than 1/2 turn at the most, ever unless you have made enough mistakes to have gained as much knowlege as the designers.Gotta go my pints been empty for too long.