R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - ROAR Announcement
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2009, 07:03 PM
CraigM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by schurcr
So if 4000 mah isn't enough now what did you guys do before we had 4200 and 4400 mah round cells? I can remember racing mod 12th with 3000 and 3300 mah cells. You had to drive the pack, and make time. It was part of the race and was the lure for 12th racing for many. Now we just strap in the lowest wind motor we can hold on to or to match the guy next to you and it's full strapped 8 minutes. Sure would be nice to take a step back from full strap mod racing and get back to 12th mod racing as it always was until the last 3 or 4 years.

BTW ...... there are no capacity limits in ROAR battery approvals. The case size is the limitter and they have been constructed to the ROAR rules for a 1s lipo battery case. The 40c 5000mah packs you are hearing of are already here and approved. Thunderpower and Fantom have approved 40c 5000mah packs approved on the ROAR list, SMC has one in the works that will be out soon and the rumour is that Reedy will be creating one as well.
I cant really see dumping (esp with lipos) being much of a lure these days, but I'm glad the larger capacities are legal and are coming out. Even though it might not be an aim to provide parity, it'll only help with the shift (here at least) if lipo mod cars can match the pace of the round cell runners