R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Ask Steve "The Evicerator" Weiss
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2009, 08:12 AM
Steve Weiss
The Evicerator

Originally Posted by syndr0me
Hey Steve!

Have you guys encountered any kind of damage done to 13.5 (and other) motors from using large amounts of timing, like those in the Tekin RS and LRP SPX? I guess I don't mean heat damage, but something else? I'm finding that my motors are fading hard around 4:30 in a race, and my leading theory is that they were somehow damaged when I was experimenting with aggressive timing profiles (which I've since quit). They never got particularly hot, and the rotors still check out strong on a Zubak meter. I started a discussion on the topic here. I've seen a few other people mention similar observations in the past, and they too seemed to think it was timing related. Is there some kind of damage that could be done to affect performance beyond just heat? Thanks.
What's probably happening is the degredation of your rotors.

Heat is not the only rotor-killer. In fact if you were to only heat the rotor up it would still retain most of it's magnetic properties... it's when you heat it up and expose it to EM feilds that it most rapidly deteriorates the magnetic properties of the rotors.

I would see if changing the rotor in your motor helps...and if it doesn't then there's something else at play that I'm not 100% sure on.

I would think that the windings themselves are pretty hearty up to a certain temperature when then insulation on the wires tends to get broken down.

Originally Posted by slashdriver
Hey Steve, a follow up question.

What is the timing with the ring maxed out? What is the timing with the ring set to minimum? If you could indicate these values, it would help a lot..I could create a gauge of some sort to measure the actual timing setting.

I'm tinkering with a variable timing ESC and it would be *really* helpful to know the motor timing!!
Max timing is approximately 35-40*... minimum timing is approximately 15*.... and this will generally vary by motor/rotor.