R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - The 4:30 Fade
Thread: The 4:30 Fade
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2009, 11:36 AM
syndr0me
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by J.Filipow
If you're having to 'saw' on the steering wheel of your transmitter to get your car around the track (ie, full throw for every turn on the layout), your setup is probably understeering. You can monitor this by not only temping your front tires after a full run, but also temping your rear tires. The thing to look for is the comparison of front tire temperature to rear tire temperature. Ideally, the two should be relatively close (ie, 95 degrees front, 90 degrees rear). If there is a HUGE contrast in front and rear tire temps (ie, 115 degrees front, 90 degrees rear), your setup is definitely understeering, and overheating your front tires. This would account for your "4:30 Fade".

I would suggest making adjustments to your setup by trying to 'free up' the rear of the car; lengthen your rear camber link or add more rear camber, for example. Try one setup change at a time, and monitor the contrast of tire temps (front to rear) after a full run.

My guess is that you'll find improvements in lap times and consistency with setup adjustments as opposed to chasing electronic timing, mechanical timing, battery capacity, charge rates, etc.
Regardless of whether or not this is the issue for my existing problem, I'm definitely going to take a closer look at tire temps after a run. I actually have my dual-rate down quite a bit, and generally have pretty good steering. The spool wants to understeer mid-corner, but that seems to be the nature of the beast. I'm always trying to find ways to tune around that without affecting the rest of the setup too much. Thanks a lot for the info and suggestion, that seems to be something that's often overlooked.

I did mention this problem in the SPX thread, but only after I saw someone else bring it up. I'd been thinking it might be related to timing prior, but when I saw others talking about it, it really got the wheels turning.