R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Advertising Policy Feedback & Ideas
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2003, 10:57 PM
futureal
R/C Tech Founder

I am bringing this thread back after much thought and reading everything I've seen here. This is most likely what I'm going to use for future advertising policy relating to threads in forums.

First up: who can advertise?

Individual product/company threads will be allowed for companies that produce some form of original product. Kits, electronics, radio systems and the like are all examples of such products.

Companies that produce re-branded or re-packaged versions of existing products will be required to advertise in order to maintain a product/support thread. This includes battery matchers, motor tuners, and similar companies.

In the above cases, if a product qualifies as being allowed without the need for advertising, it is still expected that the thread will not be used for advertising purposes. Company representatives are welcomed and encouraged to interact with users and provide support in these cases, but things like web site deals and product promotions will still count as commercial advertising.

The reasoning behind this is simple: a GP3300 pack is still a GP3300 pack, regardless of which process it was matched with and where it came from. The same goes for a tuned Monster Stock motor, for example. Users with questions related to those products could easily find assistance in a GP3300 or Trinity Stock Motor thread. An ABC-matched pack or an XYZ-tuned motor still falls under the banner of the original product. ABC or XYZ specific information is considered promotiion.

It is my opinion that this is a fair deal. Those I have talked to who are paying for threads on here have told me that they are very much worth the $20/month, given the traffic they receive.

Next: Retail Threads and Commercial Forums

Retail threads will no longer be allowed outside of commercial-specific forums without an additional advertising fee. The same commercial forum fee of $20/month will allow an advertiser to place one such "ABC Retail" thread in a forum of their choosing. However, making "we have this or that in stock now" in other threads will be prohibited.

Meanwhile, the Commercial Forums will now be displayed as rotating subforums in the Electric, Nitro and Off-Road topic areas in addition to their regular spots. This will be worked into the design to minimize how much space it occupies, but still get much more "face time" for commercial forums.

This is in response to some feedback from forum advertisers who would like more exposure for their commercial forums. Cutting down the retail threads is a necessary measure to fight clutter and keep the forums on topic and most useful for the users.

More: Banner Advertising

Banner advertisers will no longer be allowed to create product threads outside of the rules outlined above. In other words, if a company matches batteries, a banner ad does not entitle them to a thread. It is up to the individual to decide which is more beneficial to their operation.

This change will bring things more in line and make it fair for everybody. Banner ad rates will increase to $40/month on January 1st, 2004, and the size limit will be raised from 15KB to 20KB. GIF and SWF animation is allowed, but no sound. Banner size is still 468x60.

And Finally: Subscriptions

Premium R/C Tech subscriptions will be available for $25/year. These do not count as donations, but rather as an additional feature.

Some of what you will get as a subscriber:

- an @rctech.net email account with a web-based interface and a 10MB quota
- access to multiple different forum "skins" with various color schemes
- access to video clips from large races
- special set of user ranks
- special icon denoting you as a subscriber
- larger signature size (existing sigs will be limited to a TBA size)
- other awesome special features that will be announced

There will probably be more than just that, but that is what I have so far and what I know I am capable of delivering.

There is some other information regarding software upgrades and a really cool new feature coming shortly. But I will save that stuff for a later post.

Please give me feedback here on what you think. I am hoping I was able to reach a common middle ground among most of you, and I can't say enough how much I appreciate all the feedback.

Thanks!