R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Dyno, Homemade, Using a Novak Sentry Data Logger, Continued, The Experimental Thread.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:32 PM
John Stranahan
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I can answer maybe a few of your questions. It does seem from this test and the test that Matt did on boost that the extra power comes at the expense of efficiency. At high RPM the extra power is made by advancing the timing. This tends to kill the efficiency. At low RPM timing can be retarded to boost low RPM power. This probably improves efficiency. In addition current can be chopped and increased on a ramp like profile 8 to make a profile suitable for low traction or partially chopped to produce other profiles. I had to do this with my radio to make the LRP motors rev up smoothly on the dyno without stuttering. Note that the lower gearing on the track eliminates this problem.

My track experience with the hot motors tends to answer your question about part throttle use. It certainly saves a lot of power consumption and heat to roll on the throttle just fast enough to stay ahead of the speed. Full throttle needs to be used sparingly with hot winds. At part throttle the current is rapidly chopped. This restricts the current that can flow.(On brushed motors a recirculating current used to flow through the shottky diode in the off periods boosting efficiency. I don't think this applies to brushed). Also with hot winds a low gear is used to let the motor rapidly rev past its highest amp stage (at low RPM).

I have noticed in the stage of running past our dyno run that the motor will tend to become optimized and run more efficiently and pick up some extra RPM. This would probably occur during your 50% throttle run up.

Last edited by John Stranahan; 05-04-2009 at 05:45 PM.