R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - lrp spx stock spec
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2009, 05:07 AM
SlowerOne
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by GerwinGood
Hello All,

Im running also a LRP spx Stock spec version since a week. But im searching for the right gearing for my engine. Using Profile 8 of the spx. But now the problem i dont really know what timing i should use.

FDR 4.0 or maybe more to 6.5, Any one has an idea what kind of FDR would be good for my setup?

Xray t2 009
LRP SPX Stock spec
Corally 25c 5000 mah lipo
Speed passion 10.5T brushless

Thanks already
I don't run TC, so can't give you an exact ratio. However, the rule of thumb is to go waaaaaay down on ratio and then come back up. Check the clock every time you change gearing, and see how fast teh whole race is, and how consistent your lap times are. Go for the fastest, most consistent lap times first, and temp second.

Originally Posted by Skiddins
Gearing only really has to change down for profile 7 & 8 on the SPX.
Keep the timing on 0 for the motor and go down at least a couple of pinions.

There is no actual mention of the temperature the ESC can take, but it's temp memory function tells you how close to shutdown it is. Mine usually ends up with 15 flashes of the blue LED.

Skiddins
Good advice when using 7 and 8 - follow it!

Originally Posted by Still Bill
Two more variables to add to my settings are: 1) often used Launch Control at start of race; and, 2) use 6 for drag brake.

Have ceased using Launch Control and drag brake is now set at 3 or 4. More experimenting with John Hicks tomorrow.

Bill
Take all the drag brake off! Drag brake is achieved by firing the coils, so it uses battery and that means it increases heat. You'll not be able to take full advantage of settings 7 and 8 if you have drag brake on.

Originally Posted by rcpoint
Hi all,
I just want to share my testing results with SPX and 13.5 (LRP and Orion on default timing). We have e a very large track in Heemstede (Netherlands). Reto, you must know this track.
I don't agree on dropping pinions when using setting 8 on SPX. I went from FDR 4.5 down to 3.6 and was going faster with better lap times, motor temp never went above 61C deg.
If anyone is interested my test session can be found here on Mylaps http://www.mylaps.com/practice/showL...67&subm=Search
Session 1 was FDR 4.5, gearing up every session with last session (7) at 3.6.
Next week I'm taking this to even lower FDR (3.5 to 2.9). The only thing I'm monitoring is motor temp.
Z
Heemstede is huge, and it doesn't have too many slow corners. I find this situation unusual, and I would not advise that you follow these settings.

HTH