R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Huge F'up, need help!
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2009, 11:39 PM
BIG RE
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by boatsnhoes
So I am going through my Losi 8T 1.0 with the 427 on it making sure all is well. I was/am going to race tomorrow in my first race. Lately the engine has been giving me trouble starting, more specifically it seems I have a 1way bearing problem. If I hit the drill to start it (has the spin start on it) it will crank for 2 or three stokes, then spin without turning over the engine. I have been through this before with other engines, so I proceed to pull it all apart with the idea of roughing up the surface of the shaft the bearing rides on and cleaning the bearing itself.

Well, get that done and when I am putting it back together there is a little spring laying on the table. I decide it goes (here is where the drama starts) in the hole in the backing plate that the PS shaft goes in (the shaft the one way bearing rides on) thinking that it puts pressure on something when the shaft is in place. I thought that because I didnt see it when I took the spin start cover off in the beginning (we'll get back to that). So anyway, I slide the spring in, slide in the shaft, put the plastic disc inside the hex and put the cover back on. I get the engine set back in and set the spurgear/clutch bell mesh and tighten everything up. I threw a little afterrun oil in since I had run it a few minutes ago to tune it up.

So I get the drill back out and fire it up, or should I say, tried to fire it up. I turned over maybe 2 times and froze up. Now my first thought was that I put too much oil in it, and it was hydro locked, so I pulled out the glow plug and no dice. Then it hit me........that spring didnt go in that hole. I sharted.

I realized too late that the spring actually goes in between the plastic disc/spacer and the ps shaft, there is even a shallow hole that centers/holds the spring in place in the back of the shaft and a little bump on the disc that does the same. So I am skeeeerude. I pull it back apart and find the spring crammed in between the rod/crank and the side of the case, I backed up the crank a (needed a little force) and plucked out the spring. Luckily it is all in one piece, but unluckily, it is flat as a pancake. I dont see any major damage to the case other than a few minor scratches.

So how necessary is this spring? It is part of the PS shaft kit, and I am doubtful they stock it at the shop. It looks like it keeps the plastic spacer from touching the shaft once it is spinning when running, but what would happen if it wasnt there? Can I use any spring, like maybe one out of a pen cut to length?
On a system like that you need the spring, if pushes the little pin into the groove on the one way shaft and allows the crankshaft to turn over. I don't know what size the spring is off the top of my head, but here is the replacement, I wouldn't mess with a pen spring because if you cut it to the wrong length or if it is too strong or weak it could lead to problems, the shaft should help with the problem of it not turning over too.
http://www.losipartshouse.com/servle...n-Start/Detail