R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - help with breakin on os vzb
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2009, 08:20 PM
JAMMINKRAZY
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dreaux
it says heat cycling at a "slightly rich" setting and that the os engines come set from the factory "very rich" so if the factory setting is 3 turns to two in a half, i know this is going to sound crazy but what would you recomend? have any of you tuned or broken in a os before??? Guess i will go with 2 turns. also, i don't have a temp gun.
You will need a temp gun. Unless you mean Heat Gun, in which case you should have one of those too. Leave it set to factory settings. Lean it in an hour at a time until it starts to stay running. Going 1 full turn leaner than factory for break in is way too lean. If you need to, bump the idle up a bit. If you heat the engine up to 180-200* before even trying to start it, it will stay running much better. You may need to lean the low end in too to get it to run. This is perfectly fine for the engine if you do it in small increments. You should NEVER touch ANY needle more than an hour or two at a time. Small adjustments go a long way. Also make sure your plug is glowing hot, and your ignitor is FULLY charged.

As for break-in, I kinda have my own method. It is sort of a heat cycle, but with longer cycles. To start I idle 2 tanks through all of my engines with them sitting on the box. Let the engine cool down with the piston at bottom dead center between every tank. Keep the temps around 200*, any cooler or hotter and you will damage the engine. If you need to use tin foil or a rag to keep heat in. Once I get 2 tanks of idle through it, I set the car down on the ground with the same settings and slowly do circles/ figure 8's or what ever. I do 2 tanks of that. Then I do the same thing over again, but lean both bottom and top one hour before each tank. By now you will have 6 tanks through it. Now is when I start to open it up more. Doing mid speed passes back and forth. same deal, 2 tanks of that. now you have 8 tanks on it, and it is about time to start race tuning it. When I do this I will tune it to make decent power but still be pretty rich. Once you gat another 10 tanks or so on it, you can completely race tune it. Note throughout the process you want to keep the engine around 200*. During different stages of the process, you will need to use the foil/rag to keep the temp where you want it. This process has worked perfect for me so far. My v-spec has right about 8 gallons on it now, running as strong as day 1, with great compression.