R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya mini cooper
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2009, 03:09 PM
BoneCrusher
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Don’t know who else is running a RWD conversion but I need some help here:

Car is built as per instruction at rc-mini.net…..thanks guys! Car actually runs pretty well and is quite competitive (mid – A main qualifying) against the fast guys at our local club, which is a medium grip carpet track. However, it does run into a few problems.
1. Motor temperature (we run silver cans only) appears to be quite higher after a run than my FWD to the point that it kind of stinks. Temp on the can 90F, in the hold 150F after a 5 minute run. The motor being used was originally run in a FWD. Should I get a new motor and break it in only in reverse?
2. The car hops like crazy. I originally used friction dampers and that was even worse. Now using oil shocks, it’s a lot better but still ‘skips’ along on the track coming out from a turn which loses some speed. Car weights in at 1270 grams, ride height 5 front / 3 rear, front blue / rear red springs, adjustable camber links (from the M03R) in the rear to even out tire wear. I’m using 3 racing tires front and rear. I nifetech the rears full and inside front 1/3. My other tire options at the club are Type A slicks, S-Grips, M-grips or the ones that come with the kit.
3. Any adjustable camber links for the front to even out tire wear?
4. Because the frame that use to house the servo in its FWD from is now removed, can I basically use any body out there? I’m set up with the 225 mid length.
5. Speed. I feel that the car comes out of the corner pretty quickly (except the hopping takes some speed away and have to use a way different driving style than the FWD) but the other cars (FWD or RWD) seem to pull away mid-straight away and hence comes into the following corner at a faster speed than I do. I’m using the standard 20-tooth pinion. Should I drill an extra hole and test a 21-tooth pinion?
6. Considering putting some lead weight only the car to test. Where should I put it? Currently using orion 3200 lipos with 84 grams lead weight underneath the battery only.

Aside from blaming my driving skills (I’ve actually never drove a RWD mini before the conversion), a $5 servo, a cheap ESC, and a super duct taped Honda civic body, any suggestions out there would be appreciated.

Ivan