R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - CRC Battle Axe, GenXPro 10, 1/10th pan, Brushless, Lipo,4c, Road, Oval,TipsandTricks
Old 04-23-2009, 09:01 PM
John Stranahan
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Jhock-I don't run those on 2s LiPo so I will direct you to the Novak gearing info in a minute.
http://www.teamnovak.com/tech_info/b...r_gearing.html

Plenty of guys from Europe who use 3.5s and 4.5s on 2s LiPo check in to this thread once in a while. I thought I would copy this post over here on the New LRP X12. Check out the huge power.

Novak GTB, Novak velocity 3.5R VS LRP sphere Competition TC edition and X 12 3.5 R

Finally The Sentry Dyno is to the point where serious and accurate comparisons can be made on powerful motors.

This first comparison is with a Novak GTB and the Novak velocity 3.5. These are first generation items. I have had the motor a long time and used it a lot in the wide pan car. The marriage of the two is perfect. The second items in the comparison are the LRP TC edition speed control and second powerful generation LRP X12. This motor has been run once in my touring car. Again this is a happy marriage. There is plenty of traction for all the power that is available.

If you look at figure one The Novak by itself The chart shows peak power of 524 W. I manually input the highest RPM now looking at the raw data file, the motor reached 61224 RPM. The pitch is really screaming, but the sound level is very tolerable and smooth due to the floating motor mount.

Notice the green line is amps on this graph. It rises to a quick peak and then tapers off as the motor spins up and reverse voltage is built up. The shape is very similar to the stock motor i posted previously but now its up at 220 amps. That second green point pegs the amp meter at 220 (there is a peak on the line) and then there is a slow reduction (the line goes down). This is the typical amp curve a motor would have if no active timing was used.

The third chart shows the LRP TC edition running the X12 3.5. The motor reaches a screaming highest measured 68965 RPM. Higher than the older Novak motor. It also reaches a remarkable 675 Watts. Thats just a remarkable increase over their old X11 3.5 and 150 W more than Novak's Older 3.5

Note the amp draw at the beginning (the green line) is non typical. I have had to use a throttle ramp which slows slightly the application of full throttle (similar to a throttle roll on we talk about). This was necessary to eliminate some stuttering on full throttle on the dyno. On the track the motor is delightfully smooth and free of this effect.

Note that Novak has a new ballistic series of motors. I have a 3.5 on backorder with Novak. I'll test it when received.

Now I just have to see if I can run 5 minutes with this new LRP 3.5. The higher 60% efficiency (yellow line on right hand figure) suggest that I can.
One thing I noted previously is the LRP can is ventilated. There are not any air moving devices inside so air flow is small. The motor still runs pretty hot, but its a step in the right direction.

Attached Thumbnails