Old 04-23-2009, 10:52 AM
HarryN
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

My comments below:

Originally Posted by Slideaway
All right HarryN,
Here my comment for each paragraph:

The body post material is a bit dry and will unfortunately break on severe crash. But the next evolution (Avid 2009) will have a material change for a more flexible one...
I wish more information and pictures would be released about this kit. From the toy fair, the car looked like a decent carpet competitor. I especially liked the roll center setup. Definitely a leg up over the current design, by far.

Yes, the diff ring must be glued. But if you take the time to prepare the two surfaces before glueing (pulley + ring using a hobby knife to slightly scratch and remove the dismolding agent from the surface + brake cleaner to degrease totally) , you will not meet any trouble. I ran the Avid for more than 1 year and I never met any problem. Put some ceramic balls in and you will have one of the best diff ever.
My differential never came apart. In fact, I have done what you stated and what was recommended by a couple people at my track when gluing the ring on. My only suggestion is to have some sort of perforation on the ring so it sits evenly and not lob-sided. It took me two attempts to get the ring installed without being taller on one end versus the other.

As you may noticed, the spool is not exactly symetric left/right. That means you have get it in the bulkhead with the proper side. Otherwise, the two belt may touch each other.
I have known this and paid attention to the "idiot-proof" labels of left and right. The spool was installed correctly. I did not like how close the belts were when I would accelerate the motor. On slow revs, the belts stay apart. On higher revs, they were creeping closer together. That did not set easy with me.

4h hours to build a RC model is not that long. Don't forget that R/C model is also a hobby and means "spending time" by definition.
+1

However, when parts fit well together, especially the screws and whatnot, it makes it less of a pain and more of a joy. My T2R Pro was finished within 3 hours. Setup was an additional 1 - 2 hours, mainly from reading the setup book from Hudy and prepping the car for its initial run. The car was driveable as soon as I put it on the track. THAT is what I liked a ton!

The AVID was a pain from beginning till its current shelf spot. However, I may bring the car out again for the up and coming asphalt races at a track near me. I have no doubt in my mind that the AVID is going to stand out! But on the carpet at my indoor track, that thing was all over the place. No matter what spring was used, what setup modification made, it would not drive under power. But when I put the car on the parking lot, it GRIPPED!! And it was driveable. Granted I did not get the upper and lower chassis designed for carpet on my car, it did very well on the road.

SK Motion and company are a great bunch of people to deal with as well. Ty and James are definitely a great asset to Robitronic's presence here in the states. I would recommend anyone looking into purchasing these cars to have their hobby stores contact James at SK Motion. Professional, straight forward, and definitely keep the customer in mind.