R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Anybody here raced on Polished Wood?
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2003, 12:01 AM
Herminator
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Randman
Herminator should be posting here before too long
Hey! err.... ok... you're right

Well stulec52 pretty much said it. I'm guessing you'll be running touring cars indoors, in which case you'll deffinetly want Schumacher mini pins. They come in 26mm and 21mm and yellow and blue compounds, yellow being softer. Most people go for yellow because grip is at a premium but tyre width choice is up to the hall you race in. Some places you can only run nearly new narrow yellows and expect to get any sort of grip, which is very expensive in tyres. Other places you can run newish tyres and be sliding all over the place until you've gotten the mini pins half worn down. Where I race there doesn't seem to be a huge advantage in narrows so I use 26mm yellows, which last a little longer, and they are best when worn in a bit. I would normaly go for a soft insirt, some people even cut an insirt in half so it's extra narrow and use that to just keep the middle of a 26mm tyre inflated. Others run with no insirts at all, especially when using 21mm tyres.

The best starting place for a setup indoors is one with a tendancy to understeer, it's a lot easier to slow down for a corner with the rear end planted, then it is to go around a corner with the back end trying to overtake the front.

Not at my own PC so don't have any pics of my car ready to go racing on wooden floors