R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Dyno, Homemade, Using a Novak Sentry Data Logger, Continued, The Experimental Thread.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:52 PM
John Stranahan
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Dyno Test Novak SS 13.5, Amp meter validation

Below is the dyno output for the Novak SS13.5 on the 2S LiPo. I ran this motor on the oval first with a 4 cell pack. The dyno ouput I used for gearing, I posted previously. Later we changed to 13.5 2sLiP but numbers had already dwindled under the 4 cell rules. We never revovered the numbers and then the track went under construction. The car is quite lively with 13.5 2S LiPo. Not quite enough straightaway speed for the full road course but plenty for the oval. Again the major result would be the RPM at full power. This can help you gear this motor. I geared this motor the same on road course and oval.

I tested the ammeter segment of the Novak Sentry by using the Competition Electronics turbo thirty (charger discharger) to discharge 30 amperes of current through our amp sensor harness. The sentry was within .75 amps and always read a little low. -2.5% error. This is sufficiently accurate.

Note that when the amp meter is pegged at 108 amps then the efficiency reading is higher than it should be. You just have to take this as a know error.

In order to eliminate this error I tried using the volt sensor over a short piece of 12 gauge shunt. The voltage drop could then be used to calculate amperes. Although the sentry records voltages down to a milliVolt it is apparent that it has a minimum threshold that I did not reach. The idea failed.

Matt- I have simplified my RPM vs time model to a cubic Polynomial. This eliminated some waviness that was causing the far right side of the curves to rise.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Novak SS13-5, 7-4V,Heavy Steel Flyweel, 4-16-09003.jpg
Views:	5363
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	442189