R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - DECODER
Thread: DECODER
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2009, 07:40 PM
JAMMINKRAZY
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Marcus Falconie
$100 is not bad for a AMB transponder if you ask me. I have one that is 2 years old and has been in 3 cars. its the Decoder and program. Some one needs to come up with a cheep decoder that will work with AMB transponders and a cheep program. I know a lot of tracks that would love to start racing but will not pay 3000 + on a AMB decoder and RC Scoring pro. I am sure some one out there can make a cheep decoder and program.
X2

I personally own 2 AMB transponders, that I got a few years back for $85 each. I don't think the transponder cost is the issue at all, because once you spend that $100 you are done. I do understand though that the cost of the system can be too much for a new track that is starting out. And on that point I agree with you that some other company needs to create a system that will read AMB transponders. That would be great, and get AMB on thier toes.

Now as for other systems like Infrared systems and I lap, etc. I just don't see them being practical for a track that is interested in having big races. If the intent is simply weekly club racing, then maybe I could see them being practical. But it really comes down to the fact that AMB is the dominant system right now. So dominant that most tracks use thier systems. And even more so that most serious racers own atleast one AMB PT. And yet even more so that, AMB has become the standard for regulated racing such as RC pro series etc. So if someone can come up with an affordable system that will accept AMB PT's, there might be a second option. Until then IMO AMB is the ONLY option.