R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Dyno, Homemade, Using a Novak Sentry Data Logger, Continued, The Experimental Thread.
Old 04-11-2009, 03:09 PM
John Stranahan
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Here are the details on our oval. Maybe Joe can post his on the Velodrome oval over in California.

Track space 75 ft long by 36 ft wide. Apex to outer barrier 11 ft. Turn radius maximum is 18 ft. Run Line is 173 feet. Inner corner marker is a semicircle with 12 ft diameter. The corner markers on our track are extended with flexible matirial to a drop shape and attach to a single center board. This gives a lot of runoff room for cars in trouble to straighten up. The actual path for best lap times seems to be a little diamond shaped. We use slightly less radius in the turns than is available. If you go to the Snowbirds, Thunder Ranch website and look at one of the Carpet nationals videos you can see what I am talking about as far as shape of the runline. Here is a video of a mod A-main. At the start you can see the cars almost exactly on the fast runline (inner lane) for most cars and classes. The runline is also a darkened part of the carpet. We use a very similar shape on the oval but the radius is just a little bigger than the start but very similar to the first few minutes of the race. We are near the side boards on the straight for only 3-5 feet.

Now the routine I used is not complex at all. We calculate average speed based on a few of the hot laps. Then I geared the motor to produce maximum power at that speed. The RPM at maximum power was determined from a dyno run of a 13.5 motor on a 4 cell pack. You will note in Barrys post above and also in the Fantom software there is a fudge factor thrown in that is supposed to allow for tire slip. I did not need nor use the fudge factor. You do try your best to control tire slip by reaching full throttle only at mid straight. You roll on throttle. Especially in a mod class.

Last edited by John Stranahan; 04-11-2009 at 09:11 PM.