R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - TAMIYA F103 RM
Thread: TAMIYA F103 RM
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2009, 07:40 AM
rtypec
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bakaguyjean
Did you use and hair dryer for the helmet decals? The helmets are very tricky to get right with any decals.
I actually re-cut the shapes onto colored avery vinyl...yes into separate microscopic pieces and I did use a hairdryer to get them to wrap better. I agree, helmets are a pain but the results are nice. And that's why I'm a bit disappointed with the D-Drive helmet stickers, they are printed so well but can't wrap around the curves of a helmet, even with a hairdryer. I'll post a picture of the helmet when I get home.

*edit*

Okay, here's a close up of the helmet. In the background, you can see some of the manual pinstripping... kind of sloppy but oh well. Also, I took some pictures of how the D-Drive stickers didn't like compound curves. In this example, I used the pinstripping on a blank helmet. It's hard to tell from this angle (camera's macro isn't that good) but you can see some wrinkling, particularly the clear parts towards the back of the helmet. In the other picture, I used avery colored vinyl. The rectangular yellow chunk of vinyl wraps nicely with no wrinkling or bubbling and the blue strip lays down well following some odd contures.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	fw14-helmet.jpg
Views:	808
Size:	200.8 KB
ID:	438938   Click image for larger version

Name:	sticker1.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	438939   Click image for larger version

Name:	sticker2.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	438940   Click image for larger version

Name:	sticker3.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	438941  

Last edited by rtypec; 04-08-2009 at 04:07 PM.