R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - The Best 17.5
Thread: The Best 17.5
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2009, 01:33 PM
CarbonJoe
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by 240Z
Need some questions answered about brushless

I am about to retire my brushed motors/controller and get a brushless 17.5 system for a local series that has “banned the brush”. I will be running this in a 2wd F103 with limited space for electronics. I am looking to get a “sport” configuration as the F103 is not going to be taxed with a lot of drive train losses. The more I look at the options, the more questions I have and I was hoping that you all could help guide me in the right direction.

a) Ratings KV vs. windings
Why do some motors (ie.Castle Creations) have a rating of KV (thousands of RPMs per volt) and not the winding count like say a Novak 17.5? How can you even rate a BL motor for KV? It is not like you can just apply 5v DC and see how fast it turns right?

b) Sensor less vs. sensored Please fills in the blanks.
I would be a complete idiot if I did not get a ________ (sensorless/sensored) motor because __________.

c) $
Not all BL speed controllers seem to be created equal. I am looking for a “sport” package and don’t need/want a high end option. Please share your opinions and experiences that may fit my application.
Currently, no Castle motors are legal in ROAR stock or superstock classes. Only sensored motors are legal. Apparently, the Castle motors are now legal in Modified class.

Novak motors do have a Kv rating. See http://www.teamnovak.com/products/br...spec_chart.htm

The Tekin RS is a nice ESC. You can run brushed, sensored brushles, or sensorless brushless (as you can with other brand ESCs). The RS is a small package (a lot smaller than a Novak GTB). Others are partial to the LRP speedos. I like the RS since you can adjust it quite easily with the Hotwire PC interface.

I have the Castle Sidewinder/5700Kv motor in my B44 buggy. Nice, but as mentioned above, the motors aren't legal for ROAR except for modified class. It is also adjustable with a PC interface.