R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - next short course race truck?
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2009, 12:09 PM
K_B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Aluma
I'd say they gave it a gear diff due to the target market...beginners. While it's still a T4 at heart, beginners and bashers tend to dish out heavy abuse on trannies...so they gave it a gear diff that can take it and have little to no maintenance. The last thing you want is a beginner trash talking about your cheap car cuz he blew the tranny the first time he got it, or that he "built it like the sheet said" but it doesn't work. Plus, you can put oil in it to tune it, much like the ball diff. I've been through so many ball diffs rebuilds & tunes that I'd take a easy going gear diff anyday! I love the slash for that.
That's exactly what I did with my Tamiya King Cab back in the day. It came with this convoluted contraption that they called a "ball diff" which I had no concept of at the time. I literally melted down the inside of the diff gear on it's mayden voyage because I had the diff set too loose. You can imagine my frustration; especially at the ripe old age of twelve

If I'm not mistaken though, I thought the gear diff was making a comeback in 2WD off-road because of high powered brushless?