R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Gear Ratio help
Thread: Gear Ratio help
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2009, 09:28 AM
richard.bratton
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lightin'
Yes, but you also said "Our motors produce a great deal of torque" so I am curious if you are just generalizing or giving out info based on your company's products?? It's generally accepted that ALL 6.5's or 5.5's are not the same, nor do all manufacturer's claim them to be.
When I said "our motors" I was referring to all of the brushless motors available. I have no affiliation with any manufacturer and pay retail for my equipment. I would agree that motors do vary from manufacturer to manufacturer for particular winds. That being said, the reference link above is for a Novak motors but will get you extremely close for any make of motor as they do vary but are close when you use the motors from the more popular manufacturers.

My biggest disagreement with your post above was your comment about track layouts and size. Because brushless motors do have a sweet spot, you shouldn't have to change gearing much once you find a ratio that is in the sweet spot (for this motor) without the motor overheating. On a bigger track, you made need to "motor up" and change to a faster wind; this of course will require adjusting your gear ratio to extract the best performance from the motor.

My comment about a bigger pinion will almost always make your car faster is true. It will however come at the expense of heat. This is why manufacturers offer motors of different winds; you can change motor and gearing to achieve the straight away speed needed on large tracks and use a different wind motor for the smaller and tighter tracks. With brushless, it's much better than it was with brushed motors and one motor seems to work in more situations than it did with brushed motors.