R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - XRAY FK'05 setup
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2009, 07:10 AM
HarryLeach
Tech Master

A tweak board is definitely worth the money for the precision and time savings it can offer. That said, I still don't have one

Anyways, on the FK, things to watch out for if you think the car is tweaked.

As mentioned earlier, the roll center mounts need extra attention, because the screw holes overlap, and it's easy to accidentally have something ALL wrong.

The front can be extra difficult to inspect.

While you're looking at the front of the car, make sure you're getting full steering both directions without binding. The steering knuckle arm should actually be able to touch the C-Hub at full steering with no bind.

On to the tweak.

Something to keep in mind is that you need to adjust the opposite end of the car that the tweak is showing up on initially. Weird but true.

So for this example, I added some tweak to my car for photo purposes by having some unbalanced front spring adjusters, doesn't take much. Before you start, make sure your droop and downstop settings are even and where you want them, they can also show tweak when there really isn't.

First, use something strong, but small in diameter to slowly lift the car at centerline to see which tire lifts first.

The left rear is lifting before the right rear, so we measure the front shock perches:

4.65mm on the LF, 4.48mm on the RF. Doesn't sound like much, but that's all it takes. Reset the front to the same, recheck ride height, and our tweak is gone.