R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Kent Clausen's Insane Speed 10L - Found!!
Old 03-24-2009, 01:15 PM
Bob-Stormer
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HPI Staff
Those hubs have been discontinued for about 10 years so they are going to be tough to find! You might check with Stormer Hobbies or Ultimate Hobbies. The part numbers are 6146 and 6155.

--Kent
I already looked, out of my own curiosity. We don't have the hubs. 1/10 and 1/12 pan are my personal favorite cars, so I watch out for them.

Hubs from that period would have been like MK engineering, T/A, Tru-Turn and Stevens and sons (was Tru-Turn). We eventually bought Stevens and sons and it became Barracuda. We still have some old Barracuda in stock. But that other stuff is gonna be tough to find. And OEM hubs like HPI weren't well stocked, as most people didn't use the OEM hubs, they wanted aftermarket if they made a change. So most shops didn't stock stuff like factory hubs. Those, new in the bag, would be a tough find.

And HPI was still pretty new and low key then (in our domestic market). Still getting their foot in the door. So it also didn't have a lot of saturation.

There were a lot of cars to choose from then and that made stocking things harder for shops too. I think the pan "hey day" was from about 86-92. Getting hard to remember. There were a lot of little machine shops making cars, onesy-twosey, that most people will never remember. Even we had a 235mm car out. We made 18, sold 12. ...lol... That was before the web. People would call on our 800 number and spend HOURS asking about setup on a car we made $50 on. I pulled the plug on selling the cars after the first 100 hours of phone calls, and related labor to take the calls. I estimated we lost about $4000 the first month in phone charges and labor to walk people through setup on those. It was a different time.

<---still thinks Kent is the MAN!

Last edited by Bob-Stormer; 03-24-2009 at 04:04 PM.