R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 7.4v 2 cell lipo on a 1/12 scale?
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2009, 06:18 AM
Scottrik
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

The ND guys I race with a couple times a year would be considered "old school 1/12 only grumpy old farts" by many...generally a GREAT bunch of guys (and Janet). They're debating adding 1s LiPo in their program but a point was strongly made by one of the OLDEST old farts that a) the LiPo cars must weigh the same 865g minimum they've established for their 1/12 cars (same as at Nats this year) and b) they have to drag a scale along with them so they can be weighed at any time.

Quick like a rabbit I whipped this up for my 1s car I raced in Denver last week:

Unfortunately, with all that (and a heavily reinforced body) I'm STILL under weight. Sigh.

What we found in the race at Denver:

The 4-cell GTB is definitely plug-n-play with 1s. I used a $6 voltage booster (simple plug in-line between esc and receiver).

The Tekin works well with a simple work-around that has been discussed elsewhere. Honestly, making the charger harness for your batteries was harder.

The LRP/Nosrams had some "challenge" that we didn't get sorted out at the track. It will probably be something simple to correct like the Tekins were.

All-in-all...I wasn't "for" the 1s either until I tried it. Now I've raced it exactly once and am completely sold on it. I'm back home and have a club race today where I'll have to race 4-cell again (still) and I'm really just not into it any more.